How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment

Unemployment brings along a lot of stress and anxiety. But there are a few things we can do to reduce that stress and anxiety resulting from unemployment, such as…

“In times of stress, the best thing we can do for each other is to listen with our ears and our hearts and to be assured that our questions are just as important as our answers.”
-Fred Rogers

This is the follow up post for Follow Your Own Advice

Excerpt from the post –

“I realized that I needed to follow my own advice to deal with the stress and anxiety I experience…….I’ll begin by following the few suggestions I wrote in the blog post. Once I am done then and then only I’ll post it.”

When you are unemployed, being unemployed is not your only problem! Unemployment brings along a lot of other issues to cause endless misery in our lives.

The stress and anxiety is so immense that every second of every minute feels heavy with worrisome thoughts.

Unemployment makes us feel hopeless by casting a deep shadow over the possibility of a future. To experience stress and anxiety due to this, is only natural.

There are a few things we can do to reduce the stress and anxiety which results from being out of employment. The most important thing you can do in this situation is believe unemployment is not the end of everything. It is a big thing but it is one thing. It is a single aspect of your life, not your whole life!

Here is a list of six simple but effective things that you could do to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment-

1. Accept what you can’t reject!

How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment

“Acceptance”

If you feel unemployment is the worst thing to happen to you, accept the worst has happened. When you accept the worst has already happened, it will lose it’s power over you. Acceptance will free you and take off of your  shoulders more than half the burden.

2. Do the things you always wanted to!

How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment

Meet my plants🌾

You don’t have a job but you have lots of time. Spend time pursuing the hobbies that you couldn’t before. Paint your masterpiece, learn to play the guitar, start gardening, go trekking or write a blog. Inspire yourself to be as creative as you can, it will give you new perspective to life.

3. Think something thoughtful!

How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment

Cooking for & eating with family!

We don’t always realise how much pain our misery will cause to our loved ones. May be we can try and be stronger for their sake. Think of something nice to do for others, cook dinner or help to cook dinner to show your appreciation.

4. Read good books!

How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment

Read A Book! Any Book!

Read some books, pick any book you would enjoy reading. Reading is a very positive activity and will refresh your tired mind. If you can find a book that you can relate to your own life, that book would be the perfect book to read. I also suggest pick a great mystery book and then shift to reading a good non fiction self help book.

5. Work on self development!

How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment

Learn a new skill or improve the one you already have!

We have plenty of extra time that unemployment has given us, we should put that time to good use. Learn a new skill or improve the ones you already have. Internet has opened up before us a sea of knowledge. Use this resource and hone a new set of skills. You can even sign up for a free online course, edx is a good option for such courses.

6. Search ‘how to’ blogs!

How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment

How to do ‘literally’ anything!

Lol! There are so many great inspirational how to deal with pretty much everything blogs on the web. While you’re searching if you happen to find this blog (no chance) please let me know.

Conclusion –

If you are facing the jobless situation, it is bound to give rise to anxiety in day to day life. Life is difficult and full of problems whether one is or isn’t jobless. Once you accept life and everything life brings with it- the good, bad and ugly, life will be much more easy to endure.

There is stress and anxiety from unemployment or any other major life problem for that matter, but there is also some if not many ways to deal with that stress and anxiety.

I hope my small effort to ‘deal with stress and anxiety’ through this article was helpful.
Please share how you deal with stress and anxiety of daily life!

Please share your thoughts on this!

Thank you, Educated unemployed Indian blog

1. It’s really a good articulated post, as most people go through this phase I hope it helps more people 🙂

1. I hope this little post helps more people too. Thank you for sharing your thought and for the appreciation! ☺

2. Good goodlines!!!!👍👏

3. Love the post. It’s very helpful 💛

1. Thank you so much, I’m glad you like it! 😀

1. Pandya :p Just makes me smile *the name*

2. Hahaha. Well thank you 😁

4. Thank you for sharing this, and for the positivity. I love the ‘any book you enjoy reading is a good book’ – so true! 🙂

1. I believe in the power of a good book 📖 Glad you like the post and thank you for your appreciation! ☺🌹💛

1. You are most welcome.

5. Reblogged this on Ritulovesfood and commented:
    I loved the previous post that followed this post, this is something a lot of people like me can use. It’s about managing stress & who doesn’t have stress this days.

1. Thank you, I’m touched by your gesture ❤

1. You are welcome 😍

6. Good & practical points covered. Post more blogs like this one.

1. Thank you so much and I’ll try to post as many posts (like this one) as possible. ☺

7. Great advice! It is so hard to manage this type of stress, I use exercise and being outside to help me through tough transitions, as well as your great list 🙂

1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for the appreciation. I agree with you that exercise and being outside does help with stress a lot.

8. I love gardening too and I would like to try the photography lessons too.

1. Yes, you must try the photography lessons. I’m sure you’ll take great photos.

1. Thank you for your kind words 🙂.

9. A simple thought from one who has retired – when you are unemployed hobbies are a good way to keep your spirits up while seeking your next job. Photography is a nice hobby but can be expensive. Observational hobbies can be cheaper – birdwatching for example. And you can get involved in nature studies that really benefit our understanding of the world! That makes what you do really worthwhile 🙂

1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts. I love the idea of getting more involved with nature that you have suggested. I’ll have to give it a try.

10. Wow… If there’s anyone in this position I can recommend this post as it’s well packaged. I endorse this because I have once being in this stage and I did most of what you highlighted. Great and powerful post. Well done

1. Thank you so much for the appreciation. Words of encouragement like this always makes me smile with joy, the feedback means a lot to me. Every suggestion I wrote was what I had tried myself & found helpful. Thanks once again. 🙂

1. I’m glad to and you’re gladly welcome.

1. Thank you for the compliment 💛

1. Pleasure all mine 😊

11. A well thought out post. Thought provoking. 🤔

1. Thank you so much for the appreciation! 🙂😊

12. Have you read the bible? When I was home for a long time I began to read the bible. See what happens.

1. Since you mentioned the Bible I want to share a little experience with you. When I was a teenager I had trouble falling asleep, then I started to read a page of the Bible each night before bed & I slept like a baby. I don’t do that anymore, I don’t know why! But I think I will start doing that again. Thank you for the suggestion & for reminding me of my old connection with the Bible.

1. Thank you for sharing. My husband has written two books for India. You can download them free on irishprophet.com

2. I’ll definitely check the books. Thanks

13. Great post very valuable for those in need

1. Thank you so much for the appreciation 🙂

14. Reblogged this on educated unemployed indian and commented:

All of us need to manage our stress & deal with it on regular basis because there’s stress & anxiety in life with or without a job!

15. I will be looking forward to reading your posts. I realize the resources afforded you in India are probably very different from mine in the States. But then again, you may see a new opportunity in the developing areas. Best wishes.

1. I’m not aware of how it all works in the States. But I think it must be more opportune for people who are looking for opportunities. Thank you once again for your much appreciated gesture.

1. You are welcome. If I can answer any questions about the states, don’t hesitate to ask.

2. That’s really sweet of you, I’ll use this card if & when I’ll be in need of information in this area! 😀

3. They are always looking for teachers in the states but some of the schools and areas are very rough with a high turn over. If you are a math or science teacher, you have lots of opportunities.

4. I know little bit about how rough & difficult it is in some area as you mentioned, I watched a documentary about this topic some time ago. I wish I could but I can’t move from home because we’re a small family & kind of dependent on each other, not (just) financially but in sort of all areas. If you know what I mean!

16. Volunteering is a good way to pass some time or even trying for an internship. I don’t know what resources are available for you in India. Are you located near a city or the country? And you are in India?
    When I was unemployed, I found that being a guardian ad litem was helpful and required me to interact with people in the court system. I enjoyed being around the courts, so any kind of interaction might lead you to another direction for a job hunt. I have a paralegal certification which I have never made use of and if I hadn’t been contacted about a teaching position, I might have explored this route.

1. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your journey sounds amazing. I’m from India, I am trying to do the best with the available resources. The best resource I feel today for anyone anywhere is the Internet. Let’s see where my efforts will take me. I’ll definitely keep you posted 🙂

17. Have you or are you able to substitute teach? I do and have . It doesn’t pay great and it helps if you have another job to supplement pay but it keeps you in front of the class and meeting people who might respect your persistence because it does take a driver to substitute teach! You need a bag of creativity, diligence, humor, etc. I hope this helps.

1. Yes, it does help. Thank you so much for taking the time out & share your kind thoughts. I find it very encouraging. I haven’t tried substituting teaching but it would be a learning experience. I’ll try to find something in these lines. If I do I’ll share all about it with you.

18. I really enjoyed this post. I am on permanent disability and even I feel anxious about not being employed. I definitely relate to a lot of this and I think acceptance is the hardest part. You offered a lot of great suggestions and I am slowly working my way through them. I love reading so that was,my favorite tip hahaha have you read anything good lately?

1. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and for such warm & lovely compliments. I appreciate it. I feel the same about acceptance, it is the first & most difficult step of dealing with stressful situations. I’m glad you like the suggestions I had put together. I love reading too, I’m currently re reading the book thief by Markus Zusak who’s one of my fav authors.

19. My post tomorrow is about the stress of being unemployed. Did you write this just for me? 😉

1. I’ll be looking forward to your post tomorrow. & yes this one is for you & I’m glad you found it. 😄

20. Hey , your content is amazing…
    Take time to check out mine..

21. The above mentioned steps will surely reduce the stress and I often practice few but we can’t ignore the fact that we can’t be unemployed for a long time as we need money to earn our livelihood and once we start thinking about our employment, again stress will come back. Well, I will surely try this.

1. Thank you so much for sharing your thought. It is indeed a very tricky situation, dealing with it takes patience and understanding.

22. I could not find the info…are you a First Nations Indian? Or is your heritage from the many storied and peopled country of India. I thought you were India..Indian..but you mentioned the tortoise/turtle as a spirit animal, a female symbol for woodland tribes.
    In any event, I am sorry you are unemployed, I always found those between times agony, I always filled those days as gainfully as I could but still, it hurts, not bringing in money to support yourself.

1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful thought & for being so thoughtful. I appreciate it.
      I am Indian, that tortoise reference is something symbolic of my nature or personality.
      I didn’t know about the woodland tribes using the tortoise as a female symbol, which is very interesting trivia to know. Thanks again for sharing!

1. I am part Pequot, woodland. I am always curious about the diaspora of American First Nations.

23. […] via How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment — educated unemployed indian […]

24. Hi you have a greate site It was very easy to post all the best

25. I’m sorry you have found yourself unemployed. This post has helped me feel a little better about my unemployed situation as well, so thank you for sharing. You are a thoughtful person whom I’m sure will find a paid purpose in life soon. Keep up your spirits!

1. Thank you so much for such warm and lovely words, I’m truly touched by your kindness. I hope you find an abundance of happiness in life. All my good wishes ❤

26. I love what your are doing here. Its courageous and inspiring. Thanks.

1. Thank you for the appreciation, you made my day 😊

27. Thank you for sharing such a helpful and insightful post! So many of us can relate and use these tools!

1. I’m glad you found the article helpful. Thank you for the appreciation!

28. Thank you, this is really encouraging and makes me feel better about being unemployed. It reminds me of the opportunities it creates. Here is a post I wrote which might help people too:

Like you, I find that the support of the blogging community really helps you stay strong when you’re unemployed.

1. I checked out your post, well done on the article. And thank you for the appreciation, I’m really glad this was helpful ☺

29. This is great information. It’s never easy dealing with losing a job. Here’s an article about how to deal with the stress. https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=102014163&srcid=share

1. Thank you for sharing the link & for the appreciation. ☺

30. Vernita Farrell July 21, 2018 at 1:59 am

I was suggested this blog by way of my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this post is written by means of him as no one else recognise such designated approximately my problem. You’re incredible! Thanks!

31. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!

32. […] is one of the most baffling issue that contributes to high rates of depression and anxiety among all job seekers. Fortunately, I wasn’t prepared  to react with relevant mental state […]

33. […] Unemployment catches you and pulls you into a deep dark sleep full of nightmares. An unemployed person usually will suffer from low self esteem, mild or severe depression, social anxiety, etc. The way to get into this unpleasant situation is easy and often not self inflicted but rather very difficult to get out. It’s as if entry is free but exit is not! […]

34. […] Continue reading here- How to deal with stress and anxiety from unemployment […]

35. Always awesome content, Binita. I’m always assured of reading something really good whenever I visit 🙂 It makes my visit so much more fruitful. Thankyou for the wonderful content and God willing – maybe some day we’d meet as well.

1. You’re very kind and I’m genuinely grateful to you for your kind & encouraging words. Thank you! And I hope to meet you too someday, God willing! 👼