[Dear Unemployment] An open letter to an imaginary acquaintance

What to do when someone is unemployed? Definitely not write an open letter addressed to unemployment itself. I warn you, I’m about to do just the opposite…

This is an open letter addressed to unemployment. It’s my way of giving an expression to my thoughts (and anxieties) on unemployment. If you can relate to the contents of the letter, you’ll know that ‘you’re not alone‘ & I shall know the same as well.

Dear Unemployment

Unemployment, open letter

Dear unemployment,

Why are you such a drag? Why won’t you budge your stubborn self out of my way and away from my life?

I don’t mean to be harsh with you, I’m only trying to be honest with you. Ever since you announced your presence in my life, all I’m left with is harsh realities of life!

My mind has become a factory that produces only thoughts that has you and only you as the central theme.

Whenever I gather the courage to go out in public, you clung tightly by my side. Even the unintentional and quite innocent gaze thrown towards me will make me regret my existence at that point in time!

You ask me why I make such a fuss about you being here in my life? You say, it’s only for a while, may be for a little longer, in any case not at all a permanent thing!

In my defense, you have made me bother about you because you make me bother about myself. You make me feel as if everything is my fault.

You make me think, may be some of those people are right, those who say I am not quite active or skilled enough for a job. And, may be I’m those things, but is there nothing more to me than my flaws?

See what you do to me? You make me doubt myself and you make me feel weak in the knees! I can’t stand on my own two feet with weak knees. Can I?

So, you have got to budge out of my way and away from my life. You do understand, my dear old friend!

Let us part our ways on a learning curve on the road in this journey of life. And let us never be bitter with each other for we have known each other too well for too long.

Don’t want to be your’s forever,
An Educated Unemployed

💬 Can you relate to the feelings expressed in this open letter about being unemployed, if you are or ever was in the unemployment line?

Also, I won’t at all mind if you think this letter idea is weird!

Please do share your thoughts! (& honest opinions)

Blogging, thank you

Thank you for reading!

1. Unemployment is so tough when it drags on, testing one’s philosophical outlook and sense of identity.

1. Thank you so much for sharing your thought. I appreciate it a lot 🙂

2. It is a great idea! And well executed ☺

1. Thankful for the appreciation. Hearing that makes my day ❤︎

3. I can see how you feel. But these are transitory phases in life. Like everything else, this time will also pass.

1. Yes, even I tell myself the same thing. It gets me down sometimes, but that’s okay. We all feel that way in life now & then.
      Thanks for sharing your thought & being so wonderfully kind ❤︎

1. My pleasure dear.

4. I enjoyed reading that. Unemployment is a major issue in my life too and I have been blogging about it and exploring methods to improve my prospects. Hang in there and I hope things change for you.

1. Thank you for reading the post & sharing your thought. Highly appreciate it.
      Blogging about unemployment has actually changed my life & my unemployment status to some extent.
      Look forward to sharing our mutual thoughts on this common ground again in future. Good luck & best wishes to you too 🙂

5. Yes…you are always more than your flaws and sooner or later world will have to acknowledge it too.

1. I’d like to think so too. And, thank you for saying those kind words. I don’t even need the world to acknowledge it, one genuine person such as you acknowledging is way more than enough. Thank you 🙂

6. 😊 yes, may that be so. Best wishes. Hope to read soon how you are employed

7. This letter idea isn’t weird at all. You’re simply voicing what and how unemployment makes you feel. And after long periods of unemployment, one does get those feelings and then some. It’s hard and it’s so easy for others to state, “it won’t last forever” and perhaps it’s true, but the right now is stronger than the future and it’s only normal to feel this type of way. I’ve been rocking on the same boat for a while. And no matter how much you try, rejection replies do start to sting. But one must continue until they finally are welcomed in the place they ought to be.

1. Thank you so much for sharing your thought & for those kind words. To hear about other’s thoughts & experiences that are close to one’s own, is such a wonderful thing. I hope you & I both soon be welcomed in the place we ought to be.
      Love & best wishes ❤︎

8. I relate to every word and space in the letter! It’s a tight tiring situation which I wish to get out of quickly because it’s weighting me down 😣 Thank you for sharing your side with us 💖 wish we get out of this so soon💖💖

1. Thank you so much Elber for sharing your thought. I’m happy to know you related to what I wrote in the letter. I wish for you to get out of what you rightly called ‘a tight tiring situation’ soon as well.
      Love & best wishes to you, my friend ❤︎

9. Hi Binita, you really nailed it with this letter about how unemployment is not a choice, it is so much there and how it affects us. But, you did this with funny bones! Loved the way you narrate! Keep up the good work!

1. I’m so glad you liked this post, it’s nice to know someone relates to my thoughts. Thank you for sharing the thought, made my day ❤︎

1. The feelings are mutual, looking forward to your posts. Keep writing!

10. I think, you just haven’t found a job that suits for you.

1. I so agree with you, Tikno!

11. Thank you for the letter. Its quite on the mark for me as I am recently unemployed. I have quit my job a couple of weeks ago and I am still scared of going out and meeting people, to explain all the drama behind the choice. What did you do originally? I was working in the development field in Egypt… Does the fear get better?

1. Thank you so much for sharing about your experience. I know the fear you’re talking about, I have struggled with it for quite a while. But, if there’s anyone who needs to understand you & stand by you right now, it’s you! Next time anyone asks you, try telling them the truth in less words. The fear will lose its grip on you. And, yes the fear does get better 🙂

12. […] Educated Unemployed Indian (author of Dear Unemployment: An Open Letter to an Imaginary Acquaintance) […]

13. I have gone through periods of unemployment in my own life. The key is not to lose hope. Keep looking. Opportunities will come your way. Remember that any honest work is honorable.

1. Thank you so much for sharing your most kind & encouraging thought. I truly appreciate the gesture.
      I too hope for opportunities to come my way, meanwhile I’m thankful to God for teaching me the lesson of patience.
      I wish you all the luck & happiness ❤︎

14. Unemployment can really test your feelings of self-worth… I’m glad you were brave enough to share that with everybody.

1. Thank you so much for your kind words, I appreciate it a lot 🙂

1. I’m honored. Thank you so much for the nomination ❤︎

15. I applaude your courage.I have faced unemployment and lost through disability. It is humbling, but it is an opportuniy to see the bigger picture. As I questioned myself I questioned what was meant for my life.Unemployment and disability do not define me. God has shown me that challenges were what made me His servant. I pray that you see no failure or disappointment but opportunity for personal growth. Blessings.

1. Thank you so much for sharing this thought full of insights. You have such a wonderful way of looking at things & a refreshing perspective on challenges of life. It’s very inspiring. Best wishes ❤︎